16 August 2010

Ratty Character Development

So, I've been working on developing a design for my rat character that I can use for the anthropomorphic section of my animation. 

One of the main things that I need to try and keep in mind with this design is that it needs to be capable of realistic movement, as well as anthropomorphic movement and expression, in order for the 'seamless transition' to work. This means that I'm somewhat limited with how far I can push the design, and still keep the character looking relatively realistic. I've been looking at a number of reference points to help me with the design process; primarily the illustrations of Beatrix Potter. I really admire the way that she was able to inject such human elements into her characters, but still keep them looking so natural!

I think I'm actually closing in on a usable design now...there's just a few more details to fiddle around with and then I might be able to start on some tests. Oh, and working out what the hell it is I want the character to actually do! I think I want him to put on a little ratty waistcoat, which would also provide a nice way of transitioning between the realism and anthropomorphism, but I'm not sure exactly how difficult it would be for me to animate something like that....

Anyway, here are some of my developmental drawings for the rat character




Incidentally, I've been reading 'Drawn to Life' by Walt Stanchfield, and I've been picking up loads of helpful stuff from it about making a good drawing. I've tried to use a lot of what I've learned in this project and I think you can really see an improvement in terms of visual impact and appeal. I really recommend anybody that's interested in animation or drawing to read both the books, they're really great!

I'll post again next week with any more work I've done,
Sarah 

2 comments:

  1. I really like how he's developed :) I think his waistcoat should have buttons though, because buttons rock. I've been reading drawn to life as well, do you think tony is actually gonna ask for those principles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know...I was thinking that. I think it won't be marked, but seen as he did go to the effort of typing it up in the summer task thing, he might ask for it. Me and Becky are doing it anyway, so...yeah. Some of those things are really tricky to define in a sentence :s
    Buttons, eh? I think I'll try adding them in the next drawings and see how they work out. I think they'll be good if I can be bothered with drawing them every frame!

    ReplyDelete